Ants in the house? No problem. There are two very effective and economical ways of controlling ants from invading your home: diatomaceous earth or borax.
Let’s explore what they are, how to use them, and when you might need one over the other!
Alongside that, we will look at what both products are and how they work to kill the ants that are ruining your buzz!
So, diatomaceous earth v borax for ants, which one is better?
Diatomaceous Earth v Borax For Ants – Our Guide
Whether you have ants in your carpet or anywhere else in your home, you want to get rid of them.
Some household items can help you get rid of ants, and borax and DE are two of them. Let’s compare them now.
1. What are diatomaceous earth and borax, and how do they work to get rid of ants
Diatomaceous earth (DE) and borax are common remedies for getting rid of ants. Borax is a naturally occurring mineral that is toxic to ants. It can be used as a powder or dissolved in water to create a liquid bait.
Diatomaceous earth is made up of tiny, sharp-edged diatoms (a type of algae) that cut through the exoskeleton of ants, causing them to dehydrate and die. It is available as a powder or in pellet form.
2. How to use diatomaceous earth to get rid of ants
When using diatomaceous earth to get rid of ants, it’s important to remember that it works best when the powder is dry. Here are a few tips on how to use diatomaceous earth to get rid of ants in your home:
- Apply a thin layer of diatomaceous earth around the entrances and exits of your home where ants are commonly seen.
- Sprinkle diatomaceous earth in cracks and crevices where ants are known to hide.
- Dust diatomaceous earth on any ant hills that are found in your yard.
3. How to use borax to get rid of ants
**Before using borax, click here to read how to use it safely**
You will want to create bait using borax to get rid of ants. The bait can be something as simple as a piece of candy or a drop of honey. Place the bait near the ant colony, but not too close, or the ants will take it back to the colony.
You may need to wait a few days for the ants to take the bait back to the colony and eat it. Once they do, the borax will kill the ants.
Keep away from kids and pets!
4. When is diatomaceous earth better than borax for getting rid of ants
There are a few times when diatomaceous earth may be a better choice than borax for getting rid of ants.
DE is a natural product of the fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of algae. Because it is natural, it is safe for use around pets and children. It can also be used indoors without fear of contaminating the air quality.
DE is a powder, so it can be a little more challenging to use than borax, which is a granular substance. However, because it is a powder, DE can reach areas that borax can’t.
5. When is borax better than diatomaceous earth for getting rid of ants
There are a few times when borax is better than diatomaceous earth for getting rid of ants. Borax is better when dealing with a large ant infestation or when ants resist diatomaceous earth.
Borax is also better at getting rid of carpenter ants, which diatomaceous earth is not effective at getting rid of. If you are unsure whether or not diatomaceous earth is working on getting rid of your ants, try using borax and see which one works better.
6. How to mix diatomaceous earth and borax to get rid of ants
You must mix it with water before using diatomaceous earth or borax to get rid of ants.
For diatomaceous earth, mix 1 part DE with 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Shake well before using.
For borax, mix 1 tsp. of borax with 1 cup of water in a spray bottle. Shake well before using.
7. What are the pros and cons of diatomaceous earth and borax for getting rid of ants
When it comes to getting rid of ants, diatomaceous earth and borax are two of the most popular remedies.
Both have pros and cons, making them a better choice depending on your individual needs.
8. Which is better: diatomaceous earth or borax for getting rid of ants
There are a lot of different opinions on whether diatomaceous earth or borax is better for getting rid of ants.
Borax has been around for a long time and is a more natural option, while diatomaceous earth is a newer product for pest control that has been getting more attention in recent years. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each to help you decide which is better for your needs.
- Borax is a natural product that is made from the mineral boron.
- It is effective at killing ants and other insects.
- It is also a fungicide and can be used to get rid of mold.
- It can be very harmful if ingested, so it is essential to keep it away from children and pets.
- Diatomaceous earth is made from the fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of algae.
- It is effective at getting rid of ants, fleas, ticks, and other insects.
- It is also a good choice for getting rid of mold and parasites.
- Diatomaceous earth is non-toxic, but it can be an irritant to the skin and lungs.
- It is not harmful if ingested.
So, which is better? In most cases, diatomaceous earth is the better choice. It is non-toxic and more effective at getting rid of insects.
However, borax is also a good choice.
Ants are a pesky pest that can make your living space feel like an infested war zone. Dealing with them requires you to find the right remedy and the patience and tenacity to see it through until they’re gone for good.
This article explores two of the most popular remedies to eliminate ants from your home: diatomaceous earth and borax.
We’ve looked at the pros and cons of each to help you decide which is better for your needs.
Why don’t you try both and see which works better for you?