They irritate me, and I’m sure you don’t like them either.
Let’s have a look at why you have maggots in your bin and what you can do to prevent them from returning!
Why Have I Got A Trash/Bin Full Of Maggots?
- The contents have been exposed to flies.
- You have food in your bin.
- Flies land on the contents and lay eggs on food.
- Eggs will hatch within days, and the maggots feed off of any food.
How Can I Get Rid Of Maggots In My Bin
- Wait until the bin is emptied. Once it is clean, use water and bleach to ensure the bin is fully maggot-free.
- Use boiling water to kill off the maggots.
- Use a fly spray to keep flies away.
How Can I Stop Maggots Getting In My Bin?
- Always make sure you dispose of food correctly. Ensure any food is placed in the correct bin, or dispose of the food in sealed food bags.
- Ensure the contents of the bin are covered so no flies can enter.
- Clean any food from containers before they are placed in the bin.
- Double wrap any pet waste.
- Keep the bin in a shaded area.
If you have maggots in your garbage can, you should follow the suggestions on this page to get rid of them!
The most important thing is to make sure your trashcan is clean every time you empty it. Many professional cleaning services may clean your bins for a minimal price.